Monday, November 26, 2012

Assessing Students


Today in Foundations of PE we had a debate on whether or not teachers should use assessments to grade their students or not.  I feel like students should be assessed. If they are not assessed they how can the student be working to their maximum.  I feel  if a student is assessed and able to work on their weaknesses they will excel to a greater level.  As a teacher, I would want my students to excel in any activity they are trying to accomplish.  How does everyone else feel about assessing his or her students? 

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on assessment. As teachers we have material to cover and in order to know if our students are on task or not we need to have a means to measure the by. Assessment is not a judgmental issue or a negative thing. It is a way help students see where they are and work on improvements. Without assessments we cannot see how we as teachers are communicating to our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that assessment definitely plays an important role in teaching, even in physical education. Just like other core subjects have to show how their students are progressing, P.E. should be no different. We as physical education teachers need to not only see the improvements of our students, but also everyone else. Assessment not only shows growth in the students, but also gives our field credibility, which is something we definitley need to show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that students should be assessed in PE. Just becuase PE is based on activities it is just like any other subject. Physical Education shows how students grow with being involved in physical activity. If there was no assessment in PE the students wouldn't try or even want to attend class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree, students need to be assessed in order to show where they need improvment or not. Feedback is so important, and if students never get assessed how will they ever know? In PE we need to assess to be more accountable, and show why PE is important and needs to be in schools. Exactly, just like in other core classes they assess so why shouldn't we.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that in every aspect of life, not just physical education, assessment means that people put in a lot more effort. It also gives the class a definite sign of whether or not it is making progress and having success or not. As a teacher I find that it justifies your own work also.I am all for assessment as long for it can be incorporated into the activity and does not detract from the class. Also from a personal perspective, I always want to know where I can improve, which is what assessment is all about.

    ReplyDelete